Saturday, March 30, 2013

What a Beautiful Day!

Rock Creek at Pierce Mill where I set up my easel
     We really lucked out with the weather for this month's paint out with the Washington Society of Landscape Painters!  Temperatures in the 60's and bright, beautiful sunshine all day.  Slightly breezy but not enough to lift the painting off the easel:)
       The location was Rock Creek Park at Pierce Mill.  That is the mill on the right side of the photo.  Rock Creek Park winds its way for miles through Washington DC following the path of the creek it is named for.  Looking at this scene it is hard to imagine that bustling Connecticut Avenue is a mere two minutes away or that just beyond the park are a number of large embassies.  This is one of the reasons I love this city.  No skyscrapers and lots and lots of green space. 
      I arrived around 12:30 and sat and sketched for awhile until I decided on the view beyond the small falls.  I liked the moving water and the green bridge. Lots of light and shadow.
The view

Many families were out picnicking and I was beginning to get really hungry watching them unpack coolers full of food.  Then they started grilling.  I had a granola bar:(

At 3:30 we stopped painting and gathered beyond the mill to see everyone's paintings and have a critique.  That is traditional with this group.  They are kind.  They give good advice.

If you get the magazine, "American Art Collector" you might be interested in reading the article about the WSLP as they are celebrating their Centennial.  There are pages of their paintings on view in this month's issue.  Next Friday their Centennial Exhibit opens at the Washington Arts Club.  I am looking forward to the reception!  If I am lucky in June I will be juried into this group.  Membership is kept to 40 which is why I have been painting with them for 2 1/2 years and am only just coming up for jurying.  We shall see.....
"The Tilden St. Bridge, Rock Creek Park" 8x10 oil on linen panel

No comments:

Post a Comment