Monday, July 22, 2013

Enjoying the City!


     The painting above is  "Rosslyn at Dusk", 12x24 oil on panel.  I am happy to say it sold last week at American Painting Gallery in DC and it will be residing at a law firm downtown.  It was one of my first attempts at a cityscape and the fact that I included the Potomac was my way of getting my feet wet (bad pun) with depicting an urban subject.  My other two cityscapes done around the same time are those which my recent posts showed you.  Those were NYC paintings. 
  
      I have become more and more interested in painting city and town paintings.  I have joined a Facebook group "Cityscape Paintings" started by a fellow Salmagundian and have been drawing inspiration from it. I have posted this painting as well as "Morning, Washington Square Park" and "5th and Waverly". It  is good to have feedback from fellow artists.  It is also good to study the very high quality paintings by other members of the group as well as the more famous paintings from the last century that are often posted.  This  is an example of how great a tool the interntet can be for the artist.


"Pennsylvania Avenue" 6x12 oil on linen panel
      This afternoon I painted this little study for a larger painting.  It needs some tweaking and an improved photo but you can get the gist. On the left of the painting is the Old Post Office building which now houses restaurants and shops.  I want to paint the Washington I know as more than just monuments.  My enthusiasm for the subject is growing!

CLOSING THIS WEEK: "Celebrating 100 Years", The Washington Society of Landscape Painters at the McBride Gallery in Annapolis MD.  www.mcbridegallery.com  http://wslp.org  You can see all the paintings in the show on either of these sites.  Also check the WSLP site for information on our upcoming show opening on August 3rd at River District Arts in Sperryville, VA.

No comments:

Post a Comment