Wednesday, July 24, 2013

From the Road


"Pennsylvania Avenue" 6x12 oil on linen panel

     Here is a better photo of the painting I posted yesterday.  I made some tiny adjustments to the painting and I am quite pleased with it.  I will save this for one of the small works shows I plan to enter in the fall.  This is an example of one of my "from the road " paintings.  I posted about that at the end of my July 15th entry.  What it means is a painting from a vantage point that does not allow me to set up my easel or even have time for a small study in a sketchbook.  In this case I was in the middle of Pennsylvania Avenue clicking off a quick photo before the lights changed and the traffic came bearing down on me. So, a photo and then pencil or water color studies to help me decide on whether or not to do a studio painting.  I liked this one and decided to do an oil study rather than watercolor.  My intention was to use this for a larger painting but I am not sure that is wise.  Sometimes I know I can improve on the study other times I am not sure.  This one hits the mark for me and I hope it does for the viewer.  I might be better served to use what I have learned from this one and do a different view if I go larger.
    
"South Capitol Street" watercolor in my Moleskine sketchbook

      Here is a photo of a watercolor sketch created from the ball point pen drawing I showed you on July 15th.  My husband was driving and we were stopped at a traffic light on S. Capitol.  I loved the red, white and blue of the scene, the huge clouds and the Capitol building in the background.  I liked the idea of the mundane scene with one of the great symbols of Washington in the background but as the focal point.  Next I will do this on a gessoboard panel.  I am tempted to do one for as a small work (no larger than 8x10) but I am afraid I will feel as I do about Pennsylvania Ave. and leave well enough alone.  We'll see....
      www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com

No comments:

Post a Comment