Monday, July 1, 2013

Ready to Start "Between Storms"

Color Study for "Between Storms" oil on paper
      I am preparing to start a new studio painting which I plan to title "Between Storms".  I often have the title of a painting as soon as the desire to paint a particular scene strikes me.  This title tells the story.  We have been having daily, afternoon storms the past week or so and the skies have been beautiful to see!

       You may recognize this scene from my farmhouse series of mini 6x8 paintings.  In this painting I swing a little to the left of my usual view and I show the gazebo and storage shed intead of the famhouse and shed.  The sky is very similar to the last farmhouse painting but on this day the bright blue sky was peeking from between rather stormy clouds that were brightly outlined by the sun managing to break through.  The rains have been so torrential that as soon as there is a break we take advantage of it.  Here I am taking Gypsy for a hand walk and heading back in before the skies open up again!
       As usual I have prepared this small oil color study in my sketchbook.  Below is the graph paper layout sketch which will facilitate enlarging the scene on the 18x24 inch gessoboard panel.  Once again I have prepared the panel with an extra layer of gesso tinted with cadmium orange.  I like the effect that gives in my sunny day paintings and the last two studio paintings were started the same way.


Graph paper layout in scale for 18x24 inch panel
ON EXHIBIT: I have a lot of paintings on exhibit right now and the following links will let you preview most of the shows.
Oil Painters of America Summer Salon Show in Petoskey Michigan. Follow the links to the show on the home page www.oilpaintersofamerica.com
American Painting Gallery, "The Art of DC"
www.classicamericanpaintings.com
The McBride Gallery, Annapolis MD, "Celebrating 100 Years", the WSLP
www.mcbridegallery.com

UPCOMING:  
                  The Salmagundi Club, NYC annual summer show "Summer Potpourri" opens online on July 8th
www.salmagundi.org
                   "Celebrating 100 Years" another Washington Society of Landscape Painters show at River District Arts , Rappahannock Center, Sperryville, VA   Opens August 3rd.  A link will follow in another post.
                  and, as always......www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com

No comments:

Post a Comment