Friday, July 15, 2011

The Art League Plein Air Painters paint at the Torpedo Factory Dock


From the Torpedo Factory Dock, 14x11 oil on linen panel

Last Sunday was the very first paint out of the Art League Plein Air painters.  There were four of us, Jill Banks, Vicki Blum, Jack Dyer and me.  We met on the dock behind the Torpedo Factory around 9:00 (Vicki wisely started earlier) and painted until noon.  It was HOT!  Thank goodness for my umbrella because the scene that interested me required I be in full sun and looking right into it. The brollie did its job and without it I would have fried.  Lots of sunblock and water also helped.

All this came about at the request of our director, Rose O'Donnell who asked if I would consider painting on the dock the first Sundays of July and August and did I think others would be interested.  If so she would put a notice in Tidings and give my email address as the contact.  There is plenty of interest but less for these hot summer Sundays than for later in the year.  Then the light bulb went on!  All I need do is collect names and email addresses and make sure everyone on the list has a copy of them.  Any member can call for a paintout at any time by emailing everyone regarding where he/she wants to paint and ask if anyone will come.  The initiator sets the time and place.  Besides that there are two more paint outs scheduled for the dock on Sunday the 7th of August and on the 14th of August.  The dock is loaded with interesting subjects and it is fun being there with musicians and interested people stopping to chat.  There was a time I would have dreaded that but these days I rather enjoy it, especially if they ask questions.  Sometimes that helps me decide where I am going with the painting.
So, anyone interested email me at JKSland@cox.net. All that is required is that you be a member of the Art League.  There is no jury, no meetings, no special dues.  We welcome all levels and are completely inclusive.  If it is your first time you can email me for a list of supplies you will need or just come on out and sketch, photograph or simply observe and see if it might be for you.
Oh, and if the little painting I created doesn't sell beforehand you will be able to find it hanging on the wall of the Bin Gallery at the Art League Gallery in September.  I hope you enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Jean, that turned out great! I don't know how you handled that sun! If interested, you can check out my effort on vickiblum@blospot.com. I saw Jill's final efforts too on her blog. Everyone did a beautiful job. Thanks for organizing. This is going to be fun. I'm looking forward to our August outing(in the shade :-) )

    ReplyDelete