Thursday, July 28, 2011

First Strokes on the Pond

 Today I started work on the 30 x40 inch version of Erik's Pond.  You have been watching the development of this painting through the earlier posts of the studies for it.  You can see the final study that I am working from on the little table easel placed next to the big one. Rather than crop the photo I thought it might be more fun to introduce you to my studio and my constant studio companions.  Over the years they have learned not to fall asleep behind me while I am painting because it could result in a painful experience.  Poor little paws.                                                                                 
        The painting is starting off nicely and I actually got further than this today, however, I wanted to be sure to get a photo while the sun was shining.  It was in and out today and this way you get to see it in good natural light, no photo shop.  I ended up lowering the tree line/horizon line and making the perspective more dramatic.  I also added some more color to the sky and water. I will be working both wet on wet and wet on dry in this painting and it will develop in layers.  As I progress you may find some of the colors unusual in their placement when compared to the study but that is because I will be planning on them peeking through subsequent layers.  It helps to give depth and luminosity to the painting.
     I am always very interested in seeing how my favorite artists develop their paintings and what surroundings they work in.  I guess I am a bit of a snoop.  So here is a mini tour.  My studio has large windows that are oriented north, east and south so the light is good.  I have Erik's Pond facing the northern window.  On the other side of the studio on a smaller easel is the painting of Jesse.  In this photo the painting is sitting next to the northern window moved at an angle to allow me to move back and forth across the room while working on the pond painting. I have recessed lights overhead and you can see one of my studio lights next to Jesse.  I use color correct bulbs in these that let me work at night in a more natural light than just incandescent or fluorescent lights.  More tomorrow.....http://www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment