Sunday, July 17, 2011

Erik's Pond


Erik's Pond # 4, 8x10 oil on linen panel
  Today I painted a fourth and probably the final study for a commissioned painting of a very beautiful eight acre pond in Great Falls Virginia.  The pond is owned by Erik who has commissioned the painting for over the fireplace in  his living room.  He has requested a 30x40 inch oil on linen.  I am thrilled with the commission because the image of the pond at that time of day with the lighting and colors that are of interest to Erik are the very ones I most like to paint.
      He liked the colors in study #3 but preferred the way the sun appeared in #2 so this most recent effort combines both.  He also wanted his dock to be clearly represented and in this study it is in the lower left foreground.  The larger painting will allow me to paint it with a little more detail but in this tiny painting it is a simple gesture.  Tomorrow I will apply another layer of gesso to the linen and then tone the canvas with burnt umber.  I will check with Erik and if this meets his approval I will get underway with the final painting.  I hope you will check in to see my progress!                        

Erik's Pond #2, 8x10 oil on linen panel


Erik's Pond #3, 8x10 oil on linen panel



No comments:

Post a Comment