Friday, July 29, 2011

Second Strokes on the Pond

Erik's Pond, 30x40 oil on linen
Today was day two of working on the Pond painting.  If you compare it to yesterday's post you will see that I have added a lot more color to the sky.  At this point I need to let the sky portion dry a couple of days before glazing and layering more color.  I would like to layer a slightly lighter blue over the blue that you see now but I want some of that darker color to show through. What I can do tomorrow is work more on the water and trees.  I want to decide early on where I am putting the heron taking flight and start painting the dock.  Then I will wait until Monday to do more.  In the meantime I will turn back to the painting of Jesse. 
       Today was another unbearable 100+degree day and really humid.  I think this weather is more appropriate to equatorial Africa than McLean Virginia!  It was good to stay indoors in the air conditioning and work in the studio.  I am praying this latest heat spell breaks before Sunday when I am planning on meeting with the Washington Society of Landscape Painters at the top of Sugar Loaf Mt. in Maryland for a plein air paint out.  We plan to start at 9:00 and paint until 12:30 .  It will be the top of a mountain so how hot could it be, right?  Then again it isn't a very high mountain.  We shall see....

No comments:

Post a Comment