Thursday, May 23, 2013

Back in Gear

"The Bridge at Riley's Lock" 8x10 oil on linen panel
     We spent last weekend in one of my favorite places, Ithaca, New York on Lake Cayuga.  We were there for a very special reason.  Our granddaughter Jesse was graduating from Ithaca College.  We are so proud of her!  As a grandma (I wear the title proudly) I am tempted to upload a bunch of graduation pictures and photos from our celebratory family lunch.  However, this is an art blog and I imagine you are much more interested in what I have been up to with my painting. However, I do hope to show you some new Lake Cayuga paintings shortly.  There was no time to paint from the beautiful Taughannock Inn (right on the lake) where we stayed but I took a lot of photos and will work from them shortly.

       We are back home and I am back to work.  Yesterday I drove across the Potomac to Rileys Lock on the C&O canal in Seneca Maryland.  What an incredible location!  I was there as the guest of the Washington Society of Landscape Painters and it was a beautiful morning to paint.  The day was hot and humid but the light lovely.  There were so many tempting spots to pick but in the end I was drawn to the edge of the Potomac as usual.  I found a shady, breezy spot with the river directly behind me and I looked towards the entrance of the canal and the bridge going over it.  The late morning light hitting the bridge made it glow with warmth and it was a welcome foil to all the green around me.  Here is the painting on the easel when it was time to break and join the others for lunch and critique.  I will finish some details in the studio.  It is a keeper!


A shady spot to meet and share one another's paintings

"Garden Gate" 12x9 oil on linen panel

     Here is one more image to share today.  I painted this little painting last May looking out the door from my studio.  That is my favorite "New Dawn" climbing rose that I planted years ago.  Its bloom is a much looked forward to event every year.  Last summer in the extreme heat and humidity it became diseased and I feared I had lost it forever.  It had to be drastically cut back, everything removed from over the fence and gate and really not much left at all.  It was painful.  However, you can't keep a good rose down:)  It has made a comeback.  It is now up the side of the fence and peaking over the top of the gate a little.  It is in bloom and a welcome sight it is!
www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com

No comments:

Post a Comment