Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Recent Departures

"Waiting to Sail", 9x12 oil on linen panel
     Departures in the sense of leaving the nest.  Over the weekend this little plein air painting sold at the Art League Gallery.  It is always satisfying to sell a painting and even more so when you know where they are going.  I do not yet know the purchaser of this painting but the gallery will soon provide that.
     When I was at the Outer Banks I sold two more paintings.  One had been hanging over our mantle there for years.  A couple who had once rented our house purchased a home very close to ours.  They commissioned a painting from me based on my small plein air painting "Clouds and Gulls" that sold at the Salmagundi Club in December.  The new painting is 24x30 on gallery wrap linen canvas.  It too is titled "Clouds and Gulls".  I was happy to deliver that plus "Blowing" which is the painting that had been hanging over our fireplace since it had been painted. It was easier to part with it knowing it will be hanging on a wall in a house on the same beach with someone I know. I would be a liar if I said I didn't miss it:)
"Clouds and Gulls"24x30 oil on linen

If you read the post before we left for the Outer Banks you will remember seeing a painting being packed for shipping and two of my cocker spaniels sitting alongside.  The painting inside was "Blue Heaven" and that is the painting that now hangs over the mantle at our house.  I knew I wouldn't be happy with an empty wall staring me in the face!

Today was a really rainy day. Too dark and rainy to give me a good start on the new studio painting.  Instead I headed to the barn and thought I would do more sketches of Gypsy.  Turns out that if I try to sketch her in her stall she is entirely too interested in the process and her nose is about all I get to see.  Much easier to draw her when she is in the field!  After grooming her I headed back to the studio and worked on some more sketches for the painting.  I want to know the scene well before I start. I hope tomorrow I will have a start to show you.

"Blowing" 24x30 oil on canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment