Monday, May 13, 2013

Blue Ridge

"Blue Ridge", 24x30 oil on linen (in progress)
     The weekend was a spectacular one!  I spent Saturday at the annual Spring Horse Show at the Madeira School and Sunday was Mother's Day which I spent being well pampered.  If I were a still life painter I would be busy trying to capture all the beautiful flowers that were sent to me by my son's and their families and my husband as well as the gorgeous bouquet of red roses I received from the Madeira riders on Saturday.  I adore flowers! My lilac is in bloom right now and I cut a bunch to put in my studio.  Their scent just fills the room!  I am a former landscape designer so I go a little nuts at this time of year planning and planting flower beds and large planters on the deck. 

I have decided, at least tentatively, to title the new painting "Blue Ridge".  The scene is in Leesburg Virginia and in the background are the Blue Ridge Mountains.  This is the painting after the second day of work.  It is progressing well and will be finished shortly.  I have a bad habit of leaving the lower right hand corner of my paintings undeveloped until the end.  I don't know why I do this.  There are times when it proves to be problematic but it won't be in this painting. I know where this one is going.  I wonder if it has anything to do with being right handed.....
A very fragrant corner of the studio!
           
My lilac (syringa x henryi) and Twinkle

No comments:

Post a Comment