Thursday, May 16, 2013

FINISHED!....I think

"Blue Ridge" 24x30 oil on linen
      It is time to leave it alone!  I wanted to finish up today because we are going out of town for a few days.  Sometimes it is good to get away from a painting and sometimes it is not.  This is one I felt I needed to work on each day until completed.  Now I need to get it out of my sight so I don't fiddle with it.  At the last moment I painted in a little section of fence over by the tree.  It was an impulsive move and I hope I won't regret it.  When I start second guessing myself I am prone to overworking a painting and then ruining it.  I like this right now and I hope I feel the same way when I see it again next week.

Because my painting of the lavender fields sold quickly at the Art League Bin Gallery this month I have been asked to bring down another painting.  I will do that tomorrow and have selected a plein air painting I did in August of 2011.  The title is "From the Top of Sugar Loaf Mountain" and I am sure you can figure out that it is so titled because I painted it from the summit of that mountain.  In "Blue Ridge" the peak you see in the distance on the right side of the painting is in fact Sugar Loaf Mountain which is located in Maryland.  My plein air painting shows the view from the summit looking back towards Virginia and these pastures.  If you want to read about this painting and see it in progress go back to August 2011 in the archives and read my post there.
"From the Top of Sugar Loaf Mountain" 11x14 oil on linen panel

No comments:

Post a Comment