Friday, May 3, 2013

Gettting ready for Petoskey!

"Morning, Washington Square Park", 20x16 oil on gessoboard
The first day we were at the Outer Banks I received some very good news.  My painting, "Morning, Washington Square Park" had been accepted for the Oil Painters of America Salon Show in Petoskey Michigan!  This is the inaugural, national salon show for OPA and I am so happy to be a part of it!  Oil Painters of America is a national organization for oil painters who paint in a representational style.  You must be juried in and once a member you can submit work to their national and Eastern and Western Regional shows.  We now have about 2500 members and it goes without saying that not all can be selected.  I would hate to be one of the jurors because it must be murder trying to decide on which pieces to select.  I consider myself lucky.

Since I was away from home I knew I would be very busy once we got back because information was needed for the show by today!  I am the worst about keeping up with my bio and website.  My resume is just a ramble going back to 2004 and I usually just add things as they occur and then lop it off somewhere and tweak it a little each time I need to send one.  I tried to do better for this show and added an image of this painting and a photograph of myself.  Next is my website.  I know that for someone visiting for the first time it looks fine, however, there are a lot of good paintings not up there.  There are others that have sold, there are shows that have taken place and there is stuff that needs to come off.  There will be an 80 page catalogue with this show and I am going to have a quarter page ad in it which will include my website.  I would like to put my best foot forward. Since this painting will already be in the catalogue I have decided to use "Storm Clouds Over Morven Park" for the ad. 

If you would like to learn about Oil Painters of America and see some really fine work go to www.oilpaintersofamerica.com.  If you want to read about the Salon show in Petoskey, Michigan there is a link on the right hand side of the OPA home page.  Petoskey is a resort town on Lake Michigan and it appears to be a beautiful place.  The show will be held at the Crooked Tree Arts Center and will run from June 21-August 31 which is to say for the height of the tourist season.  Good plan:)

MORE SURF!
"Early Morning Rip Tide", 6x8 oil on linen panel

I unpacked my wet paint carriers today and photographed all the paintings I did at the OBX. The ones I showed you yesterday were taken with my i phone while the paintings were on the easel.  The ones taken with my camera look a lot better.  I will be uploading them to show you in the next couple of days.  Here is one more for this evening and I will put another comma here.
"Noontime Surf", 6x8 oil on linen panel

1 comment: