Thursday, May 9, 2013

Moving Slowly

Color study for new painting, 4.5"x 5.5" oil on paper
      I had planned a big start on the new painting yesterday but ended up with a very small one.  I have been under the weather for a couple of days and I feel like I am moving in slow motion.  This painting is going to require standing for long periods and I needed what little energy I had for my animals.  My horse and one of my dogs have needed extra attention this week and that was my priority.  By the time I got down to work I wanted to sit! 
       I did, however, make a silk purse out of a sows ear. I got at least a partial website update completed, got better photos of some of the paintings I want to upload, and thought more about the new painting.  I did this small, quick color study that I rather like.  It is a little different than what was first in my head but right now I think this is how I will proceed.  It will be an afternoon painting with the light coming from the west which is on the right side when viewing these pastures.  I want the breeze coming from the east so the movement goes towards the light.  I also graphed the painting out which is something I like to do when working from studies. It makes transferring the sketch to the painting much easier.  The photo below will give you and idea of what that looks like but it is a miserable photo.  That sketch along with the color study will be taped to the easel when I do the painting.  I may give one more color study a go before making the fnal decision.
Graph paper layout for the new painting


I was happy to have some bright sunlight in the studio today so I could get around to taking more photographs.  I have been  unhappy with some from the past and I will replace at least one image that is already up on my website.

I am really getting the itch to start this painting and want to complete it quickly.  I will be in and out of town shortly and this is not one I want to start and let sit until I get home.  I hate a stale painting!


"Daybreak on the Inlet" 20x16 oil on gessoboard
(Today's photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment