Sunday, May 5, 2013

More Minis

"Outer Banks Surf" 6x8 oil on linen panel
    Here is an image of the finished painting that I had shown you two posts back.  The first photo was when it was still on the easel and here is the finished piece with the easel clip marks painted out and with my initials.  I am getting better about remembering to sign my work right away.  This is not just to claim it as mine but to make sure that when I get a good photo my signature is visible.  When I was submitting images for jurying at various shows this year I realized that some of my best photos were before I had signed the paintings.  Most juries will require that a signature is visible so I had to do them over and in some cases never got images as good as those first ones.

"Wind, Rain, Surf" 6x8 oil on linen panel
     After a day of clear weather we had another little blast from the northeast.  No complaints from me!  I was able to complete a final mini for the surf series.  I wonder how these paintings would translate if I did them in a much larger format.  I am thinking 30x40 or even 36x48 on gallery wrap canvas.  My fear is that without the immediacy of the moment I would lose the movement.  However, nothing ventured nothing gained.  I have a 30x40 canvas in the studio I could use so perhaps this summer when the heat drives me indoors I can cool off painting the pounding surf:)

     BACK TO THE FARMHOUSE..........
That series has stalled for awhile.  I only did two paintings in April due to the weather and the fact that I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to do everything.  There was a fundraiser, there was clearing out part of the house in preparation for a small renovation, there was caring for Gypsy and getting ready to leave town on the 17th.  I posted one painting I did early in April and I did just one more before we left.  The latter shows the trees with just the light green of the budding leaves.  By the time we got home those same trees were so lush that the farmhouse was obscured!  Here is the second April painting and it was a real quickie!  It has a somewhat different feel from the earlier ones and the photo has the colors amped up a little from the actual painting. I have mixed feelings about this one but at least it says Spring.  Tomorrow I will share plans for a new 24x30 painting and also thoughts about where the Farmhouse will go from here.
     
"The Farmhouse, Early April" 6x8 oil on panel

No comments:

Post a Comment