Friday, January 10, 2014

A Day Full of Art, an Artful Day?

"Old Angler's Inn", 18x24 oil on panel
       Today my husband and I went to see the Van Gogh "Repetitions" exhibit at the Phillips Collection here in DC. It was an interesting show and an opportunity to see some of his paintings that I have never seen before. I also purchased a lovely little book, " Van Gogh's Gardens" which is proving to be an interesting read.  I like the concept of repeating images and I have discussed that here before with my mini series "The Farmhouse" and "Surf". Van Gogh's reasons may have been different from mine, more about making improvements and varying the palette but it was interesting to see the same scene or person in multiple paintings.

        Afterward we headed to American Paintings Gallery where I exhibit my work and dropped off the painting I have uploaded above. This is the large, studio version of a scene I have done several little paintings of. This one, "Old Angler's Bridge", is late summer and it depicts a day that is the polar opposite of what we experienced here on this cold, rainy, gray January day. The painting will be on exhibit for the next couple of months. If you are in the neighborhood the gallery is located at 5118 MacArthur Blvd.,NW, Washington DC.

       Next on the agenda was a very welcome and hearty lunch at one of our favorite Italian restaurants and then home and back to work in the studio. The day might have been a dreary one but I found the misty,varied grays quite beautiful as we drove along the Potomac. It was too wet to go out and paint but the next time we have weather like this I think I will at least get out with my camera
      On January 5th I mentioned I had painted a new addition to "The Farmhouse" and I hadn't photographed it yet. I got around to it today and it is an appropriate image for today's post since the weather was much the same as I have described above.
 "Rain On Snow", 6x8 oil on panel

No comments:

Post a Comment