Sunday, January 5, 2014

Sunlit Snow

"Sunlit Snow", 6x8'oil on panel

    Sunlit yesterday but not today! Today I painted "Rain On Snow", another Farmhouse mini that I have not yet photographed thanks to the dark and dreary day. But, back to the brilliant light of yesterday....
     We left the Outer Banks early yesterday morning and it was really hard to leave particularly due to the clear, strong light on the crashing surf at high tide. I should have been painting it, not leaving it. We had an easy drive home which was fortunate because what awaited us back in Virginia was a beautiful afternoon of sunlight shimmering on snow. Hence the inspiration for the painting above.  Besides adding to my mini series (that will draw to a close at the end of this month) this is a good study for a 12x24 inch painting that I will start in the next day or two which will be an extension of this view.  I will post images of that in progress unless I do it all in one session. I am really looking forward to it!
Watercolor study in my Moleskine watercolor sketchbook
       I will leave you with this watercolor study of surf that I painted from the window on Friday. I continue to enjoy finding my way with this medium and love the transparency.
www.jeanschwartzpaintinngs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment