Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Relaxing Work Day

"Mather Gorge" 16x20 oil on linen panel

       It is amazing how grateful we feel to be out of single digit and sub single digit temperatures and back to plain old below freezing :-) Those of you in more northern latitudes must think we are pretty wimpy. It is just that we are not accustomed to it and it requires some adjusting of habits. I spend part of everyday out at the barn with my horse and have continued to do so in spite of the cold. I have been calling it "defrosting my horse". Actually Gypsy has been quite comfortable. She has a full winter coat, a warm blanket to wear and a cozy stall out of the wind. She has her exercise in the large indoor arena which is a blessing because the ground is frozen like concrete. So, on such a day I am pleased to come home early have a cup of tea and get to work in the studio!
     
     I realized as I pulled up in front of the house that my shipment of frames had arrived. Perfect timing what with the upcoming exhibits at the Salmagundi Club. In the photo above you can see "Mather Gorge" a plein air piece from August that has just been varnished and ready to be framed. I put on an old movie and got to work. Two more paintings received varnish today and will be framed over the next day or so. I enjoy framing. I can let my mind drift to new paintings or just listen to the movie or music that is playing. In anticipation of the 12x24 inch snow painting I am eager to start I gessoed and toned a panel in preparation. Tomorrow I will do a sketch and then start the painting

     I like the pace I am going at right now. I can be more consistent and less frenetic. I hope I can keep that up!
       I will leave you with a cozy image of one of my dogs dealing with the cold day. He had the right idea!

   

A warm and comfortable Lucky

No comments:

Post a Comment