Thursday, January 30, 2014

A Brief Post

"Snowy Daybreak" 6x8 oil on panel


       A year ago when I started the mini series "The Farmhouse" my reason for doing so was frustration over having such limited studio time. I found it hard to keep the momentum going on larger paintings that were in progress and they were going stale. I decided I needed to do something that I could complete with just the hour and a half or two hours that were available to me. In the beginning I did drawings but really wanted to paint.  So I selected a scene that has been part of my daily life for over thirty years. This is not my house but the farmhouse and storage barn on the property where I keep my horse. This turned into a labor of love and I made the commitment to continue it throughout the year. That year comes to an end tomorrow.

       Today I had planned on working on my new cityscape and wanted to near completion of it. My day was derailed and I didn't enter the studio until 4:00. I was disappointed and resentful. I knew the light was not what I needed for that painting so I turned again to The Farmhouse. In a couple of hours 
I had a new painting, a relaxing experience and a sense of accomplishment. A complete mood change! This will most likely be the last painting of the series. I must find another subject to replace it this year.
 

                           

















No comments:

Post a Comment