Thursday, January 2, 2014

December's End Currituck Sound

"December's End Currituck Sound" 8x10 oil on panel


     Here is the completed painting from yesterday. I finished it this morning. This is not turning out to be the plein air vacation I had hoped it would be as there have only been brief periods of sun. The light has been flat and gray most of the time and while soft days like that can be beautiful to paint I have felt uninspired to get out and do so. The cold I am suffering has contributed to that reticence. Instead I have been working from the windows. I took out my mini watercolor set today and just sketched.

     You can see some of the dune peeking between the slats in the deck railing and beyond the dune is the Atlantic. A good portion of the day today has been the white out you see here. The weather reports are calling for a major snow event in the Northeast and the storm has been named Hercules :-(
Ugh! Here in North Carolina it will be a rain event with some flurries but back in Virginia snow is expected. We have decided to wait an extra day before heading home. I have no problem with that at all. On the rare occasions it snows here on the Outer Banks it can be quite beautiful. That would be worth painting. I may paint it whether it occurs or not.
We had some lovely visitors

No comments:

Post a Comment