Saturday, January 18, 2014

Sunbreak

"Sunbreak", 12x24 oil on panel

       Finished! Okay, I have spotted three teensy things I want to adjust (tweak in painter speak) but otherwise this painting is finished. As I anticipated this was a three session painting. After making the minor changes I will banish this from the studio so I won't be tempted to play around with it. The painting works just fine as it is. One of the minor changes I will make is in the shadow cast by the fence posts on the left of the painting. The angle is out of sync with the other shadows. The title came to me as I was mixing the yellow for the highlights in the snow. I don't even know if that is a word or if it should be two words. Regardless, it is the moment the painting is about. If the weather forcast for the upcoming week is correct there should be another opportunity to paint snow!

     Today was a busy day of packing and shipping my three paintings for the Salmagundi Club. I will let you know as soon as those exhibits are posted online so you can see those shows. Of course if you are in New York you can see them first hand.

       Another opportunity arose today when the owner of American Painting Fine Art told me he would like to give me a mini show at the gallery this month through February. That is to say a portion of the space will exhibit six of my paintings. I already posted about "Old Angler's Bridge" which was hung at the gallery last Friday. The other five will also be of scenes from the metro DC area.  I will be sure to photograph the space once all have been hung and share that here.  So, it is fair to say I am enjoying one of the highs of being a painter. I think I will leave the DC painting I was struggling with in the closet a little longer as it represents one of the lows. I think it wise to move forward from a position of strength :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment