Thursday, March 6, 2014

Cafe du Parc

" Cafe du Parc" 16x20 oil on linen panel

      It occurred to me that I never posted the finished painting that I posted the progress of back in February. Surprisingly the best photo turned out to be the one I took on my iPad. Too bad it is not 300 dpi because this needs no adjustment at all!
      I don't know why it took me so long to title it as I was standing in front of The Cafe du Parc
(which is at the historic Willard hotel on Pennsylvania Avenue) and that makes the choice rather obvious. The park the name refers to is Pershing Park which you see the edge of behind the parked cars on the right. On the left, peeking through the trees is the canopy over the main entrance to the Willard. The horizontal element going across the avenue is a corner of Freedom Plaza seen on an angle here. When you add the Capitol Building and the Old Post Office building there is quite a lot of history here! I guess I was trying to come up with a title that would reference that but I am quite happy with "Cafe du Parc"!
     There are many wonderful outdoor cafés in DC and I am thinking that might be a good subject for a new mini series. I would expand it to include McLean and Old Town Alexandria as there are quite a few in those locals as well. I live in one and spend a lot of time in the other. I am liking the idea!
www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com

No comments:

Post a Comment