Friday, March 14, 2014

Revisiting Some Outer Banks Spring Plein Air Paintings

   
      
       

      This little, 8x10 inch painting "Evening on Baum Trail" was painted from the southwest deck of my house on the Outer Banks last May. I love the shapes of the houses in this small neighborhood in Duck. Yes the town is named Duck! When you look west from this deck you have a clear view of Currituck Sound and I have posted many paintings here of that beautiful, quiet body of water,
      Working from the screened porch on the southeastern corner of the house I painted this view of the ocean during the same trip. I was going after the many colors being reflected in the clouds by the setting sun. Then I got lucky. A sailboat appeared making its way south along the coast. The wind had picked up and so had the surf and I was thinking they were not having a very smooth sail hence the title "Rough Sailing"!
      I hope to be posting more plein air work from the beach here later this weekend, however we may be getting a fair amount of rain for a couple of days. At least it won't be the snow that is forecast here at home. I repeat, "any day at the beach is a good day"!
"Rough Sailing"9x12 oil on linen panel





No comments:

Post a Comment