Monday, March 17, 2014

Nor'easter Day Two

"Early Afternoon, Mardh 17th" 6x8 pol on panel (Surf series)
"Late Afternoon, March 16th" 6x8 oil on panel ( Surf series)

     I am certainly getting what I wished for! It is now late afternoon and I am enjoying a cup of tea while the storm kicks up again outside. Winds have been a steady 30mph and don't seem to be letting up. I went down to the beach before painting the first painting above just to see if there were any possibility I could paint if tucked up close to the dune. Who was I kidding!  Even though the rain had temporarily stopped the wind blown surf gave me enough of a spraying to think it was still precipitating. It wasn't horribly cold but then I think the sub freezing temperatures this winter have made me comfortable when it is merely above 35 degrees :-). Oh, hello! The top of a table on the deck has just blown over the railing, guess I will find it tomorrow. All of this is delightful to me, always has been. The wildness of the ocean both awes and inspires me!
 
     The bottom painting was completed in 20 minutes yesterday afternoon proving that if I truly have to work fast I can. The light in the room was just about gone and turning on the lamps would have confused the painting. I am not saying this to suggest that painting fast is a virtue but all those timed drawings I was taught to do in school were for a reason. Having limited time forces you to cut to the chase, put down what is most important and not get hung up on detail.  It can be exhilarating and I should do it more often. I have some large canvases at home and I think I should get larger knives and try a few alla prima with these little studies as my guide.

      Happy Saint Patrick's Day to those of you who celebrate it. We are heading to the Sanderling Inn to do just that tonight!
www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com

No comments:

Post a Comment