Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Nor'easter, Day Three

"Waves in the Mist" 8x10 oil on linen panel
"Ginger Napping" ballpoint on paper
    Yesterday was the third day of a very impressive Nor"Easter here on the Outer Banks of NC. It was the most turbulent day and the one with the least visibility. Rain was pelting the windows and it was very hard to see so I spent the morning sketching. The dogs are always an interesting subject so I played with various drawing tools and find I still prefer ballpoint to anything. They are wonderful for continuous line and the line can be varied by the pressure used. All ballpoints are not equal. My favorite is sitting on my desk back home. I like it because it flows beautifully but I have no idea what it is. It was one of those give aways that businesses use. We"re going shopping later so I think I'll buy myself a pack of Bics :-)

     In the afternoon the rain lightened up a bit but a heavy mist surrounded us and it was difficult to focus. It gave an impression of stillness but stepping outside I found it was extremely windy! The surf was whipped up and made me think of whipped cream. I referred to the afternoon as foggy but my husband explained it was mist not fog. Apparently there is a difference and it has to do with visibility. This was not thick enough to be fog. Sounded like hair splitting to me. Dick added that since I am always in a fog he was not surprised that I didn't know he difference. Hmmmm.
     I decided to give painting the surf in the MIST, not fog, a try. It would be interesting mixing a variety of whites and grays. I used titanium white, cadmium yellow, Naples yellow, alizarin red, cerulean blue, ultramarine blue and indigo. The latter mixed with various yellows creates some great ocean colors!
www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com

No comments:

Post a Comment