Friday, March 21, 2014

The last painting from the Outer Banks

" Quieting Down" 11x14 oil on panel
      When I say the last painting from the outer Banks I mean from this trip. Actually I hadn't planned to paint today since there was so much to do both on the house and preparing to go home. Thanks to the spectacular N'or Easter I spent more time painting than fixing things because most of that work was outdoors. However we did make good progress indoors and the rest can wait until April. I was thrilled with all the extra time to paint and filled all the panels I had brought down.

      This little painting today really should have been a larger painting. It will act as my study for something larger but I would be happier painting it here rather than in McLean. I forgot,to take a photo so this study will have to do. The waters edge is too consistent and I would like to vary it a little more when I get back to the studio. Yesterday's 10x20 will have to stay here as it is not dry enough to travel and I don't have a wet paint carrier for it. It will be dry when we return and I can bubble wrap it for the trip home.  I had a terrible time photographing it. My camera made it look washed out and milky no matter what setting I used ! It is a clear, higher res image but the color needs to be darkened and the contrast increased. I will photoshop it at home. The iPad image was much more accurate but the color was not right. There was too much purple tone. Still I chose that for yesterday's post because it was the stronger image.  Clearly it is time to address my photo skills and the abilities of my existing Nikon.

      I wish there were more interest in Washington for beach scenes but they tend to be a hard sell. I would do better to find a gallery down here for that work.
      We leave for home early tomorrow and I will be hitting the ground running! Sunday is the awards banquet for the Washington Society of Landscape Painters and it will be held at the historic Washington Arts Club. Tim Newton, the Chairman of the Board at the Salmagundi Club in NYC will be our speaker. A number of us are also members of that beautiful institution and I look forward to what he has to say. Also the Salmagundi Annual Members exhibit opens on Wednesday March 26th so I will post information about that soon.

     Tuesday we are supposed to get slammed with a whopper Nor'easter and I so wish we didn't have to miss it! Particularly since the same storm is bringing us snow back home :-(  Oh well, I will change gears and get back to painting the cityscapes that I enjoy !

No comments:

Post a Comment