Thursday, March 27, 2014

"Different Paths" Is On The Road Again

"Different Paths" 18x24 oil on panel

      Yesterday the Salmagundi Club's Annual Members Exhibit opened at the Club located at 47 5th Avenue in NYC. I am really happy to have it selected for this important show! This is the third time this painting has been exhibited and although the purpose is to sell it I must say I am always happy to have it return home. If it doesn't sell this time I am seriously considering keeping it for my own collection.
       If you go back to January 2012 you can read my blog post about painting "Different Paths". I began it at 5:00 AM on Inauguration Day morning and just kept going. I would like to do more paintings like this but I find they are few and far between. There are some that are simply inspired by a moment and need to be painted in the moment. For me there is a poetry in that and these are the ones that speak the loudest to me. The vast majority of my paintings are hard fought and I find great purpose in that. That hard work is what allows me to occasionally paint a painting that truly pleases me.  That said, it is back to the struggle.

      If you are unfamiliar with New York City lower 5th Avenue is located in my favorite neighborhood in that city, Greenwich Village. The Avenue ends at Washington Square Park the main entrance to which is dominated by a large arch.  The Salmagundi Club is located in one of the last remaining 19th century Brownstone mansions close to that park. It is a beauty! This year the members show will be hung on the first two floors of the mansion, filling the rooms instead of the main gallery. To read more you can go to www.salmagundi.org and click on "A House of Art" on the main page. You can also take a virtual tour of this historic building which has been dedicated to American Art since 1917.






No comments:

Post a Comment