Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Preparing for the Outer Banks


     Above are four little 6x8 paintings from my "Surf Series" painted from the beach or from a front window when the wind was blowing too hard and cold.  We are leaving for a week at our house on the Outer Banks of North Carolina and I have been packing up my gear and getting in the mood for some plein air beach painting. I pulled out my "Sargent and the Sea" book which is one of my favorites (I really don't need more inspiration than that)but I still surfed around (no pun intended) the sites of some of my favorite contemporary painters who paint wonderful seascapes. I can't wait to start work!
        We have had such a wonderful warmup the last couple of days but at the moment it is storming out and the temperature is dropping 40 degrees. Part of me hopes to have these severe winds on the Outer Banks so I can paint the rough surf but part of me wants a mellow time on the beach with bright sunlight and strong shadows cast by people strolling along the waters edge. Any day at the beach is a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment