Sunday, March 16, 2014

"Cold Front"

"Cold Front" 11x14 oil on linen panel


    We arrived on the Outer Banks early last evening delighted to see our daffodils in bloom, the air warm and still and a full moon rising over the Atlantic. The ocean looked more like a lake! Lovely as the scene was I secretly hoped for some bad weather later in the week to kick up the surf so I could add to my little 6x8 surf series. Crazy to wish for that after the hard winter we have had!
    This morning we woke up early to a beautifully sunlit day with only slightly cooler air. I looked out the window and was greeted by a calm sea with sunlight sparkling on it.  As I drank coffee and fed the dogs I started to plan what to take to the beach and considered my palette for the morning painting. It would be high value, cadmium lemon yellow and cerulean blue would be key players. Then the game changed. First the wind came up, then clouds in strange formations began to gather, the temperature plummeted and the surf was on the rise!

     WHOOPEE!  N'or Easter, I was thrilled! It was too cold and windy for me to paint on the beach but some quick sketches I could handle. I would set my easel by a window overlooking the ocean and get to work. I wish I was stoic enough to actually brave the elements like Dutch artist Roos Shuring but I know my limits. I spent the day painting what I love. Above is the morning painting taken from my sketches below and my palette from what I observed from the window. In the afternoon I did my little 6x8 surf painting but will have to photograph it for you tomorrow as the room had become too dark. The week is off to a wonderful start!


No comments:

Post a Comment