Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Devil is in the Details

Detail of "Erik's Pond" lower right corner
All the major elements of "Erik's Pond are complete and today it was time to add features that are of personal interest to Erik.  I painted the white heron that feeds at the pond in flight against the dark trees.  I had originally planned to paint him more to the center with the water behind him but he is such a small form that I felt I needed the contrast.  I also added some of the much loved waterlillies on the right side to see if they would work and at this scale I think they do.  If I make them smaller they will look like tiny polka dots so I will keep them in the foreground on both sides and maybe just put a couple of dots further back.  The left side of the painting comes forward more so I can give the lillies a little more detail there.  I have also begun adding some of the light colored tree trunks and branches that help break up the wall of green.  The big question right now is whether or not to reduce the size of the dock.  You will have to refer to the last post to see it.  Smaller would be more correct in regards to scale but it will not be very good for adding the figure of his son with his fishing pole.  I will let Erik make that call.  I can work it either way.  You will have to wait for the next post to see what was decided!

     I took "Jesse Waiting" out of the closet.  I guess that was a weak joke.  Anyway, I realized I had forgotten to finish one of the legs on the teapot so I did so.  I added some more wisps of hair where the light really catches it and declared the painting finished.  I like it! I signed it and entered an image of it in a national show.  I shall keep my fingers crossed and let you know in a month or so whether it was accepted.
http://www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment