Wednesday, August 24, 2011

On the Easel: "Morning, Washington Square Park" (aka, the earthquake painting)

Morning, Washington Square Park, 20x16 oil on panel
(in progress)
Yesterday morning I started this painting that was inspired by my recent trip to New York.  Washington Square Park was a surprisingly quiet place that Saturday morning particularly given its history.  I loved the fact that the city buildings were shrouded in haze and the focus was on the lovely park setting.  The serenity was unexpected .
      I was well into the painting and just working in the lamp post in the foreground when the earthquake struck.  You will notice the post is somewhat leaning to the left.  Blame it on my hand smearing through it.  I will work on correcting it in the next session.  The painting has a short way to go.  The long bench following the curve of the walk is just roughed in and the foreground on the left is unfinished.  I need to put this aside for a couple of days since we are having family arriving for the weekend.  At least I think we are.  Hurricane Irene may change those plans since everyone is flying up from Atlanta.  I don't think they will have a problem getting here but getting home could be trouble.  We shall see. 
      I will always remember this painting as having been painted during both an earthquake and a hurricane. I hope it turns out well! http://www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com/
                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment