Saturday, August 6, 2011

Watching Marty Paint

in the beginning


somewhere in the middle

Today's post isn't about me, at least in the sense of something I am working on.  Today I watched and learned .

Martin Poole is one of my favorite painters and this is the second Poole painting demonstration I have attended at the Principle Gallery in Old Town Alexandria.  He started at 11:00 and worked straight through until 4:00 sharing his thoughts and engaging his onlookers throughout the process.  He is a patient and generous teacher and I was impressed with his ability to concentrate, problem solve, field questions and politely listen to comments all day.
I was interested to see how he develops a painting from photographs and his approach today was very similar to plein air.  He wants to take the painting home and develop it further and mentioned glazing after it had dried.  He said something very interesting in response to a question as to why photo and not on site.  Like me he has a preferance for those very ephemeral times of day.  As the sun goes down you may have 15 minutes to get things done.  When you are working in the middle of the day there is more time to develop a painting.  Having the experience of place, plus photo references and the memory of the moment makes it possible.  Not to mention his skill and ability to keep it spontaneous. 
     Someone made the comment that they felt they had been to a two day workshop.  I have to agree. I came away with lots of information and inspiration.  I look forward to his return!

       Tomorrow it is back to the waterfront for plein air.  After I left the demonstration I walked down to the river and picked my place for tomorrow morning.  I hope the rain holds off long enough to at least get something started.  If it pours I'll head to the arcade and do some wet pavement studies.  Maybe.http://www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment