Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Finished!

Erik's Pond 30x40 oil on linen
Here is the final version of Erik's Pond.  I am very happy with it!  You will have to click on it to see an enlargement that will show you the details added that are of personal significance for Erik.  I added the heron in flight with the waterlillies that you saw from an earlier post but now also have Erik's son with his fishing pole on the dock.  I got him on the fourth attempt.  I kept painting him out and letting the area dry before the next try.  I was finally successful after I purchased a very fine sable brush.  Minute as they are they do make the painting stronger for me.  I really got invested in this one!  After it is good and dry I will apply a thin spray of retouch varnish to even out the surface and give it some temporary protection.  Sometime after six or eight months I would like to go back and apply a final varnish.  Probably matte or satin.  The gloss would make light reflect too much off the dark areas and make the painting harder to see.

      Tomorrow it is back to plein air.  I will be joining some members of the Art League Plein Air Painters (ALPAPs) at River Bend Park in Great Falls to paint for the morning.  I am always happy to paint the Potomac!

No comments:

Post a Comment