Saturday, August 13, 2011

"Little No Name" Has a Name

Gray Day at the Marina 9x12 oil on panel
I almost gessoed over this unfinished painting from last weeks plein air outing at the Torpedo Factory Dock but I changed my mind because I rather liked the sky.  I didn't spend much time because I wanted to keep it fresh and I am still considering this one a learning experience.  I can see the things wrong with it but that is why I am keeping it.  I have discovered that I want to learn to paint boats.  this is only the second time I have painted them and they present a challenge for me.  Happily they exist in an environment that appeals to me which includes big skies and water.  Plenty of opportunity for reflections.  As forms I find the boats and the architecture of the marinas complex.  I have to remember to think of them as forms and not get too hung up on the details of which there are plenty!  The riggings and ropes present a particular difficulty and my painting knives only go so far.  I will search for different brushes and perhaps the hardware store will have something that will work.  I often find good painting stuff there.  The good news is there are lots of marinas nearby to visit and while the weather is warm I think I shall do that.
      Tomorrow it is back to Old Town for another paint out and it looks like this one will be in the rain.  I am actually looking forward to that as that too is something I have not experienced.  I will look for some cover and see what happens.  If it is really windy I may just have to wrap up and go home.  Check in tomorrow to see how it went!http://www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment