Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Morning at River Bend Park on the Potomac

Comfortable spot and a Great View!


Just About Finished
 Today was a beautiful day to be painting along the Potomac at River Bend Park.  Thank you Margaret Huddy for thinking of this and inviting me to join you and your friend!  I chose this lovely and comfortable spot where I enjoyed a constant, soft, cooling breeze.  We started at 9:00 and the only sounds we could hear were the cicadas, occasional splashes in the water and the ever present Canadian Geese and ducks. I think the bugs must have declared a holiday because I didn't encounter ANY!  I came prepared for an onslaught which is usual for this time of year and was pleasantly surprised.  Later in the morning some children from a summer camp came through on their nature walk with counselors and were really hoping to see some water snakes.  I was just as well pleased that none made an appearance!  I didn't get a decent photo of the finished piece because by the time I got home the skies had darkened and we had some rain.  I'll take it outside tomorrow and photograph it. 
      By the way, for those of you not familiar with this area of the Potomac that tall stick you see that looks like a ruler next to my set up is in fact a measuring stick.  It is fairly common in early spring for the Potomac to flood.  River Bend is just upriver from Great Falls Park and you can image the force of water over the falls if you can picture where I am painting as being completely under water.  The high water mark for last spring would have had the river over my head at this point.  If you go to my website you can see some early spring paintings of the Great Falls when the river is really churning!  http://www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment