Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Time Flies When You Are Painting!

Heading to the Falls, 40x30 oil on canvas

     I can't believe it is already August and Heading to the Falls will be on view at the Salmagundi Club annual juried show starting on Monday! If you check my very first post back in July you can find more information on the club, show dates and times.  http://www.salmagundi.org/
West View, Sugar Loaf Mt. 11x14 oil on linen panel
  Check the link to read the history of the club and take a virtual tour of this beautiful, historic building with it's lovely gallery space.  Briefly, the club was founded in 1871 in the studio of Jonathan Scott Hartley.  In 1917 the members purchased the mid 19th century brownstone on lower 5th Ave. near Washington Square where the club is still located.  Many famous artists enjoyed membership in the club such as William Merritt Chase, Childe Hassam and N.C. Wyeth just to name a few.  Winston Churchill was an honorary member.  I'll bet many of you did not know that Churchill was a wonderful painter with a preference for plein air work.

Speaking of plein air work.....Here is the finished image of the painting I did on Sugar Loaf Mountain in Maryland this last Sunday.  I told the story of the tumble to the ground and the needed repairs in my last post.  I added paint where it had been rubbed off and made the changes suggested and I am pleased with the result.  Frankly, scenes with lots of green are a bit of a bore for me to paint but thanks to the fact that I forgot to pack any tubes of green I think I was able to create a more lively painting. Mixing a variety of greens from different blues,yellows and reds made the work more interesting for me.

The painting of Jesse is just about complete and I hope to have the finished painting posted by Friday.  The pond painting is drying after it's last session and should be ready for the next layer tomorrow.  Paint, paint, paint!

Coming up this week......Sunday August 7th paint out with the Art League Plein Air Painters in Alexandria on the waterfront.  Look for us from 9:00 to 12:00 spread from Founders Park to the far side of the dock.  I had no idea I was creating a plein air group when the director of the Art League Gallery asked if I would paint on the Torpedo Factory Dock the first Sunday of July and August.  A simple request from me for other interested painters opened the flood gates.  I hear from at least one person a day wanting to be added to the list and we are sure to be an active group visiting many interesting sites in the future!

Monday, August 8th, Show opens at the Salmagundi Club, 47 5th Ave. NYC and runs until Friday, August 19th.
http://www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment