Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Wonderful Time! NYC and the Salmagundi Club


Our Hotel, a short walk from the Club

Where Harry Met Sally

Outside the Salmagundi Club

The Club Entrance

The packed reception

Vicki Vidal Blum in front of her lovely "Parrot Tulips"

Me in front of my "Heading to the Falls"

Dick trying to snare a cab in the thunderstorm
 The first time I heard the word Salmagundi it was at Christina Campbell's Tavern in the historic district of Williamsburg Virginia.  It was the 18th century name for a salad that we now refer to as Chef's Salad.  A little of this and a little of that.  I would say that sums up this years juried non member show at the Salmagundi Club in NYC.  All styles and genres were represented and all were quality works. I am so proud to have been included!  Vicki Vidal Blum who lives not far from me (and is also a member of the Art League and paints plein air with me) had a beautiful still life in the show. It was fun to be there together and to meet the other artists.  After the reception Vicki, Dick and I went out into the pouring rain with everyone else (how I wish I had taken that umbrella!) and we tried to stay dry while Dick hailed a cab.  Back at the Washington Square Hotel where we were staying the three of us went into the bar for drinks, dessert and good conversation.  About art of course!

     Earlier in the day, after dropping our bags at the hotel, Dick and I decided we wanted to indulge in some good New York deli so we cabbed it over to Houston and Katz's Deli.  If you saw the movie "When Harry Met Sally" you will recognize the place as where the memorable "I'll have what she's having" scene was filmed.  Each of us tried to consume an impossibly huge sandwich of the best pastrami in New York but failed miserably.  There went our dinner plans!  Dessert and drinks were all we wanted later that evening.

     Earlier this week I received an email from my cousins Kathi and Helen who had attended the show when they were in NYC.  They said they found the Club to be very warm and welcoming.  That was also my impression.  It is a very comfortable place.  The night of the reception we were elbow to elbow in the rooms so it was hard to see all there was to see. Besides the painting and sculpture show there was the non member drawings and photography show as well as the Club's many paintings from their permanent collection.  I did manage to see a number of works from the early 20th century and some of the framed wooden palettes that belonged to early members.  I look foward to visiting during a quieter time in the future.  If you ever find yourself in NYC the Salmagundi Club is worth a visit!http://www.salmagundi.org/
    



No comments:

Post a Comment